Life has two rules: number 1, Never quit!; number 2, Always remember rule number 1 ~Duke Ellington
THE MEMOIRS OF A WRITER
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
Wednesday, January 21, 2004
This is the story I'm working on now. It's part of an anthology with 4 other talented writers. Unfortunatey, I can't say too much about the anthology, my writing comrades will kill me...smile...I can say this...GET READY YALL. The characters are fresh and lively and I feel they're going to have you reading and coming back for more. I hope Alexia's story will stay true to the theme and advance the story along. I'll let my character introduce herself.

ALEXIA BROUSSARD
By Shelia M. Goss

INTRODUCTION

Hi Y’all

Yes, every now and then my accent does slip out. I’m from New Orleans, home of jazz and good cooking. My family owns a five-star restaurant, Aunt Sudie’s Place, specializing in French and Cajun cuisine. Aunt Sudie was a great aunt who was an ex-slave. She used to cook out of her house located on the outskirts of the French Quarters. People would travel from miles around just to get a taste of her shrimp etoufee or sweet potato pie. Most of the recipes I use for my catering service are courtesy of Aunt Sudie and my Grandma Hattie. It was natural for me to fall into the family business. I went to college, got my Bachelor of Arts, and learned as much as I could at the restaurant. People tell me I’m a natural when it comes to cooking. Not too many people can cook better than I can and I’m being modest. I never measure ingredients, I just know how much to use. It must be in the blood.


My family and friends was surprised when I decided to venture out on my own and move to D.C. ten years ago. Little did they know I was running away from a man, who not only broke my heart, but tried to break my spirit too. As soon as I kicked him out, I packed my bags, called the movers, and headed to Washington D.C. I thought I would have better luck with men in a place where people didn’t know the name of Broussard. Sometimes I feel like I’m cursed, because no matter who I meet, it seems to end in disaster.

You would think an educated, successful businesswoman, such as myself wouldn’t have a problem finding a man. The problem is not finding a man, but the right one. Let me rephrase it, a GOOD one. Don’t let beauty fool you. I think men are surprised when they realize this 5’8, Creole complexion, hazel-eyed beauty has more going for her than looks. I didn’t realize people could be so shallow. I’m in my 30s and my friends don’t know how hard I work at keeping my shape. They don’t know I was the overweight child in school and my biggest fear is gaining all of the weight back. It’s hard maintaining this weight with me owning this catering service, because I pride myself on tasting everything before it heads out the door. If I don’t like it, I don’t expect any of my clients to.

Anyway, where was I? Men assume I’m younger than what I am, but that’s because of my genes. Maybe they can’t handle beauty and brains. I’ve fallen in and out of love more than I care to count. So much so, my motto is “To live is to love, to love is to hurt.” I’m not looking to fall in love and how can I, when I keep meeting dogs? I don’t mean to say all men are dogs, but if they have to be, can they at least be tamed.

I treasure the time I have with my friends and the occasional trips back home visiting my family. To my family and friends, I’m just a nosy body, always getting in somebody else’s business. I know that’s what they say about me behind my back. I can’t help the fact people tell me ALL of their business and I do mean all of it. If they only knew sometimes I don’t care to hear all about their drama. I have enough drama of my own. See, I’m just too nice sometimes. If someone calls me and sounds distressed, I think its my duty to listen and give them my two-cents worth of advice. I figure if they didn’t need the advice they wouldn’t have called. Am I wrong for that? I don’t think so.

Now, the problem I have is when people try to get into my business. I have to have my privacy. You would too, if you had to grow up with two brothers and two sisters who were always in your space. Me being the youngest, I always had to tag along. I think that’s why I’m wise for my age. Hanging around older kids and adults at a young age will do it to you.

I sure wish I had some bubble gum. I don’t know why I’m nervous. I always have to have some Hubba Bubba with me. I try to not to blow bubbles when I’m around people, but sometimes I forget and the next thing you know, one creeps out. I laugh as I think about the time I blew a bubble in a Senator’s face. He was praising my food and all eyes were on me. Believe it or not, I like to stay in the background. But anyway, I was listening to him and before you know it, a big juicy pink bubble came out of my mouth. Talking about embarrassing. If you want to get on my good side, forget bringing me chocolate candy; bring me some bubble gum.

I’ve been thinking about using Rowena’s match making service. If I do, I know the other ladies will probably talk about me. I’ve been against the whole idea from the beginning. I don’t know why Rowena invested her money in it. If there are people out there going through what I’m going through, I see why. It’s ashamed I can’t find a decent date on my own. I must be crazy to even consider it. If I do decide to use it, Rowena better keep her mouth shut.

It’s getting late. I better get some rest. I am scheduled to cater a luncheon at the Capitol. I need to get there real early to make sure everything is intact. A trip to the Magic Hands will be in order after this luncheon.

GOOD NIGHT!!!
Alexia Broussard


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogwise - blog directory