Life has two rules: number 1, Never quit!; number 2, Always remember rule number 1 ~Duke Ellington
THE MEMOIRS OF A WRITER
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What's in a Name?

Here it is August the 9th and I'm just now posting a message to my blog. Well let's see what's been happening since I last posted.

I've been busy interviewing music artists. The highlight was being able to interview what I like to consider a music legend and genius--Mr. Charlie Wilson. If you love good R & B, then you know he's a member of The Gap Band. He'll have a solo CD coming out a few days before my birthday in September.

Another thing I've been doing is actually and finally getting a chance to work on my novel. I've changed the lead character's name from Veronica to Paige. The reason: The name change hit me like a ton of bricks one day. I had been hell bent on NOT changing the name from Veronica. But when your characters speak to you and say, "Hey, I'm a Paige, not a Veronica" you have no choice but to listen.

One of my friends will vouch for me not wanting to change Veronica's name. When I shared with her the premises for my story, she reminded me that there was a supermodel with the same name. My response was, well it's a fictional character and I'm sure there are lots of character names that belong to actual real people...I've met a Rose and a Violet (characters from my first book-Roses are Thorns, Violets are True) and the name Nicolette from my second book, My Invisible Husband, actually belongs to one of my cousins.). So knowing that the name was also that of a model, didn't persuade me one bit to change it. It only prompted me to give her a middle initial of "C."

Anyway, my character cried out and didn't want to be known as Veronica, so I was forced to change it to Paige. I've had to go back and do a "search" and "replace" in the manuscript, but I've grown to love the name Paige. Paige Webb is alright in my book. I hope she's able to handle the situation she's gotten herself into in my third novel, My Three Beaus.


Blogger princessdominique said...
Girl keep your name. If your characters are anything like mine, you're probably already attached to the name.  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogwise - blog directory