Life has two rules: number 1, Never quit!; number 2, Always remember rule number 1 ~Duke Ellington
THE MEMOIRS OF A WRITER
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Invisible Husband Excerpt

Today's excerpt comes from the Essence bestselling novel My Invisible Husband.

REMEMBER THE GAME CHARADES? Well, Nikki Montana has taken the game a step further.

Excerpt from Chapter One





“Congratulations Nikki on your wedding.”

“Thank you,” Nikki Montana said as she looked up into the eyes of her co-worker, Kenneth Capers.

“When will we get to meet the lucky groom?” Kenneth asked as he ate the last piece of cake on his plate.

Her eyes darted downwards as she repeated to him the response she had rehearsed and given everyone all day. “As soon as his schedule allows, I’ll bring him up here for everyone to meet.”

Nikki thanked everyone for coming to the wedding shower her manager insisted the department throw for her. Deep down inside she felt guilty about accepting the gifts her co-workers so thoughtfully picked out. She glanced at her watch and knew her plane for Las Vegas would be leaving in less than twenty-four hours and when she returned to work a week later, she would be a married woman.

Some of her co-workers helped carry her gifts to her car and congratulated her once more. It was a beautiful spring day and under normal circumstances she would have driven with the top down on her convertible candy apple red BMW. As she stopped at a red light, the passenger in a midnight-blue SUV attempted to flirt with her, but she ignored his advances. As she sped away, she heard him yell obscenities. She blurted, “That’s why I didn’t acknowledge your existence.”

She drove the rest of the way home listening to one of her favorite Dallas radio stations. The Drive at Five radio mix always calmed her nerves during rush hour traffic.

When she pulled into her driveway, she spotted a familiar car. She was hoping to avoid her best friend until at least after her return trip from Vegas, but luck wasn’t on her side. They hugged and greeted each other without speaking a word.

Charlotte didn’t say anything until they were behind closed doors. “How could you plan on sneaking to Vegas without a word? I had to find out from your sister that you were leaving in the morning.”

Nikki knew she wouldn’t be able to keep her secret for long and really needed someone to confide in. “If you give me a minute to get settled, I’ll explain everything.”

Charlotte crossed her arms and with an attitude responded, “You’d better, because we’ve been friends far too long for me to hear about this from someone else. This really hurts. I thought we were close, but I guess I was wrong.”

“Calm down. I’ll explain it all in a minute,” Nikki announced, trying to calm her friend down.

Charlotte rolled her eyes. “Whatever. You definitely have some explaining to do, missy.”

“Make yourself at home, I’ll be right back,” Nikki said as she headed towards her bedroom.

When she returned, Charlotte was in the kitchen making herself a turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich.

Nikki remained quiet as she took a seat on one of the wooden barstools. She and Charlotte had been friends and inseparable since first grade. Although they had siblings, they were more like sisters. They were both five feet eight and wore their hair in a short style Halle Berry made famous years ago. Although both were attractive, Nikki’s breasts were larger and her sparkling hazel eyes usually captivated most men. Charlotte on the other hand, was well proportioned and had legs to put Tina Turner to shame. When it came to dealing with issues and especially men, they were complete opposites.

Nikki cleared her throat before telling Charlotte the reason behind her failure to mention her Vegas trip. “I know what I’m about to tell you might sound crazy, but please hear me out before you interrupt.”

Charlotte took a bite of her sandwich and after swallowing said, “Sure.” She continued to eat while listening to Nikki.

“I’m going to Las Vegas because everyone thinks the ring I’m wearing is an engagement ring.”

“Okay, I know that much.”

“And they think I’m going to Vegas to marry my fiancé.”

Charlotte almost choked. “What in the world? What fiancé? How could you keep something like this from me? Who is he? Do I know him?”

Nikki waited for Charlotte to stop blurting out a million and one questions. “Are you through, so I can finish?”

Charlotte took a sip of her drink. “Go ahead,” she said as she looked at Nikki in amazement.

“The key word is everyone ‘thinks.’ I got tired of everyone asking me about my personal life. Asking me when I was going to settle down. I was watching this movie and this idea hit me.”

“Uh huh,” Charlotte said as she stared at her in disbelief.

“If everyone thinks that I’m married maybe they’ll stop asking me about my love life. Then I can go on with my life. I won’t have to worry about being thirty-four and unmarried. And I sure won’t have to listen to the countless questions about why, when, etcetera.”

Charlotte put her drink down and pushed her plate away. “So you’re telling me you’ve planned a fake wedding and everyone, including your family, thinks you’re going to Las Vegas to get married.”

“Yes.”

“Girl, are you crazy? How in the world do you think you’re going to pull it off? You do have to come back. When you come back, what are you’re going to tell everyone?”

“Actually, I’ve told everyone he travels a lot and when he’s in town, we only have time for each other.”

“You’ve been setting this up for awhile. I thought you bought the ring to ward off men you didn’t want to talk to. I never thought you would do something this stupid.”

Nikki defended herself. “I don’t think it’s stupid. Besides, I was due for a vacation and this will keep people out of my business, especially the people at the office. Now maybe my director will stop flirting with me every chance he gets.”

Charlotte shook her head and said, “I can see you telling those busybodies at work, but did you have to lie to your own family?”

“You know my family. They’re just as bad as my co-workers. You know for yourself that they’re always asking me when I’m going to settle down. I’m sick and tired of being made to feel like something is wrong with me because I’m not married,” Nikki said, in frustration.

“I hear you, but still. This is going to back fire and then what?”

“This will bide me some time. I can always tell them it didn’t work out and I got a quick divorce.”

“Sounds like you’ve thought of everything.”

Nikki stood up and walked towards the door. “I sure did. Now help me get my wedding presents out of the car.”

Charlotte laughed. “Girl, all I can say is, you’re something else.”


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogwise - blog directory