Life has two rules: number 1, Never quit!; number 2, Always remember rule number 1 ~Duke Ellington
THE MEMOIRS OF A WRITER
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
Thursday, October 20, 2005

Final Excerpt from Essence Bestseller My Invisible Husband

Here's the final excerpt for the week from the Essence bestselling novel My Invisible Husband.



Nikki’s trip to Las Vegas was filled with gambling and shows. In addition to enjoying Las Vegas, she rented a car and drove to Los Angeles to do more sight seeing. She tried to relax on her plane trip back to Dallas, but the man sitting next to her annoyed her by constantly pecking on his keyboard. He noticed her irritation and offered to let her borrow his headphones so that he wouldn’t be as distracting, but she declined. “No thank you.”

“Are you sure? I have to finish this report, or I won’t meet my deadline. I do apologize for the inconvenience.”

Nikki took a good look at her traveling companion. She noticed his captivating eyes, and although he wasn’t smiling, she could see the dimples in his cheeks. For once, she was at a loss for words. When he caught her staring at him, she felt a little embarrassed, but snapped back with a catchy excuse. “Excuse me for staring, but you look familiar.”

He smiled and assumed she was flirting. He didn’t mind at all. He’d lost his concentration. The moment she sat down next to him her alluring fragrance captivated him. The red blouse she wore accented the two things he admired most on a woman, pretty eyes and ample breasts.

“I’m Byron Matthews and you are?” he asked while extending his hand.

“Nicolette Montana, but my friends call me Nikki for short.”

They shook hands and in unison they said, “Nice to meet you.”

They both felt a jolt of electricity and since neither knew how to respond to it, they remained silent. Byron went back to pecking on his laptop and Nikki pretended to be reading a magazine. The stewardess walked by with the drink cart and offered each passenger drinks. Byron appeared to be engulfed in his work, so Nikki tapped him on the arm. “The stewardess wants to know if you want something to drink.”

He looked up. “I’m sorry. Yes, a cup of coffee would be nice.”

They continued the rest of the flight in silence. Both tried to ignore the feeling of being in such close proximity to one another. The stewardess’ voice blared over the loudspeakers instructing the passengers to turn off all electronic items. As Byron attempted to put away his laptop, he’d forgotten he sat his almost empty cup on the floor. He accidentally splashed the remains on Nikki’s shoes. He looked up to apologize, but nothing came out of his mouth. Nikki jumped in her seat and blurted out, “Excuse you.”

“I’m so sorry. I forgot that I had put it there.”

“I just got these shoes and now they’re ruined.” She frowned.

He pulled out his business card and wrote something on the back before handing it to her. “My home number is on the back. I’ll buy you another pair, regardless of the cost.”

Although she knew she should be upset that he’d ruined a hundred and twenty dollar pair of shoes she received as a birthday gift; one look into his apologetic eyes almost made her melt in her seat.

“Okay,” she smiled and said. “Trust me. I’ll be calling you. Let me give you my information too.”

He wrote down her information as she recited it to him. “Again Nikki, I’m so sorry.”

“Apology accepted, but it is Ms. Montana to you,” she teased.

To buy your copy of this Essence Bestseller, click on the book cover on the right hand side of the page or go directly to www.amazon.com.


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogwise - blog directory